In its efforts to become a more sustainable company, CFI Flooring Systems has developed an additional service available to our clients…RECLAMATION. Teaming up with Patcraft Commercial Carpet, CFI will now be collecting used carpet from construction sites for reclamation. RECLAMATION of carpeting will divert this usable flooring product from the city landfill and will put it to new use.
See our reasons why carpet reclamation is the next step to becoming a more sustainable company.
Embarrassing Reasons Why Carpet Should be RECLAIMED:
- Carpet and diapers are the largest contributors to landfills.
- The cost of RECLAIMING vs. disposing carpet at your local landfill is comparable.
- When used for Waste to Energy, carpet burns cleaner and more efficient than fossil fuels, such as coal. Coal is used to create energy in almost every American city and is not a renewable resource.
- Local RECLAIMATION sites are available to the public.
Types of Carpet Accepted:
- All manufacturers of carpet tile and broadloom, residential and commercial.
- All fibers, including wool…Type 6 nylon is Cradle to Cradle recyclable at the Evergreen Facility owned by Shaw Industries.
- All backing types, including jute.
- All carpet pad/cushion.
Recycling Methods after RECLAMATION:
- Cradle to Cradle; Products that will be deconstructed and recycled back into their original materials time and time again.
- Recycling; Waste minimization strategy in which reusable materials are recovered from a waste stream, and put to the original or different use.
- Waste to Energy; Incineration process in which solid waste is converted into thermal energy to generate steam that drives turbines for electricity generators.
A “Paper” Trail:
- Electronic RECLAMATION documents for proprietary and non-proprietary specifications are available from firstname.lastname@example.org. Editable to suit your project needs.
- A certificate of RECLAMATION will be available at time of drop off.
Who to Contact:
- Get in touch with CFI or any Manufacturer’s Rep to find out what companies offer incentives for RECLAMATION. Patcraft Commercial Carpet will RECLAIM a minimum of 500 yards for free!
- Notify the Contractor in advance that your client will be RECLAIMING their old carpet. There are simple guidelines for them to follow.
Websites of Interest:
- Carpet Recovery Effort, www.carpetrecovery.org.
- Benefits of Recycling, www.benefits-of-recycling.com/recycledcarpet
- Carpet Cushion Council, www.carpetcushion.org/recycling
- Shaw Green Edge, www.shawgreenedge.com
By Hailie Thomas, referencing Katy Studer with Patcraft Commercial Carpet.